If you’ve published a book and you’re actively promoting it, you’ve probably used a flat image of your cover online. In fact, if your book is on Amazon, it’s displayed with a flat image, like this:
This is totally standard and acceptable; however, it’s also a great idea to create a 3D version of your cover image for marketing purposes.
A 3D image makes your cover stand out on the screen. It also helps show potential readers various options that are available. For example, if your book is available in both hardcopy and ebook formats, you can create an image to show that.
Here’s an example from some authors I’ve worked with. This husband and wife writing team has two books: The Emissary and The Emerald Tablet, and both books are available in paperback and ebook format. This image, which they placed on their website, shows all of the options in 3D:
Here’s how to create your own 3D image(s) of your book:
- Go to www.diybookcovers.com — I love this tool!
- Click Book Design in the top menu and then 3D mockups
- Select the type of design you want to create and then click Next. You can choose from various Single formats (hardcopy, Kindle, iPad, phone, etc) or click Composite to do combos of hardcopy + iPad, hardcopy + Kindle, hardcopy + iPad + phone, etc.
- If you choose a Single format, you’ll simply upload one cover image. If you choose a Composite, you’ll need to upload the covers for each format included. The great thing about this one is if you have more than one book you want to promote, you can create a composite image to show the different books in the different formats. Have I told you how much I love this tool!?
- Click Next and then select whether you want a PNG or JPG version of the image.
Here’s another example of one I created in just a few minutes:
As you can see, these images really stand out on a website, in social media images, wherever you want to share them! Want to create a 3D image of your book cover? Visit www.diybookcovers.com and try it out today!