Creating a Facebook Page to Promote Your Book, 5 Easy Steps
This post was originally published in 2011.
Due to its popularity, I have updated it on June 4, 2015.
Given that the number of active users on Facebook is now nearly 1.5 billion, most likely you already have a Facebook account, along with your neighbor, your grandma and your college roommate. With all of the connections you already have on Facebook, promoting your book to your Facebook Friends is easy, but you can also create a Facebook Page for your book (or yourself as an author if you have multiple books).
Here are 5 quick steps to creating a Facebook Page:
- Within Facebook, make sure you’re in “Home” view (where you read your News Feed).
- In the left column, under PAGES, click “Create Page.”
- Review the page type options and select the appropriate option. To set up a page for your book, select the “Entertainment” box and then select “Book” from the drop down menu and type in the name of your book. To set up a page for you as an author (with multiple books to promote under your name), select the “Artist, Band or Public Figure” box and then select “Author” from the drop down menu and type in your name (or pen name).
- Read the Facebook Pages Terms and click “Get Started.”
- That’s it! You have set up an official Facebook Page for your book (or author profile). Now Facebook will now walk you through the following additional steps to complete your new Page, including:
- Adding an image – i.e. your book cover or professional author photo
- Describing your page
- Adding a URL for your author website (if you have one)
Once you have all of the details ready you can invite your existing friends/followers (on Facebook and/or other sites) to join your page and add a Facebook button or “Like” box to your own site to start increasing traffic to your page. You will want to begin posting status updates on a regular basis.
Having set up the page, you will automatically be a Page Admin. You can add additional Admins at any time. Managing your page can be done easily anytime you’re on Facebook. You can find your page listed in the left-hand menu under the PAGES header.
If you don’t already have a Facebook Page for your book, give it a try!